Friday, November 21, 2008

The Vagina Monologues

The Vagina Monologues... is made up of a varying number of monologues read by a varyin number of women. Every monologue somehow relates to the vagina, be it through sex, love, rape, menstruation, mutilation, masturbation, birth, orgasm, the variety of names for the vagina, or simply as a physical aspect of the body. A recurring theme throughout the piece is the vagina as a tool of female empowerment, and the ultimate embodiment of individuality.

A play with various women who share their views about their vagina with the audience

Wow. Can't beat that right?

My Vagina could tell a story or two. It wouldn't be crazy exciting- not too many tales to tell- but yet.. interesting.

When I went to The Vagina Monolgues event, the roles consisted of Angry Vaginas, Sad Vaginas, Vagina Happy Facts, Vagina Village and yes, Reclaiming "C*nt" and a lot more. Very touching performances by a lot of intelligent, inspiring women.

The crowd that attended was an interesting one. You had women from all races, you had couples, bi-racial couples, lesbian couples, single women, married women, groups of women. And we all had one thing in common that brought us together....our vaginas.

I walked out of the performance, enlightened; Proud.

I will admit. I am a slave to the monthly $60 primping and manicuring of everything "below the belt". But the Vagina Monologues did get me thinking...

All the waxing, the primping and attention to detail that I do for my vagina doesn't change who I am inside, my sexuality as a women or the way my husband views me. It doesn't define me as any better than the woman who decides to grow her pubes out into a mini afro.

Does it make me any more shallow, though? The fact that I will spend $60 for a brazillian every 5 weeks on something no one else but my husband will see? 

I could probably feed 100 kids in an underdeveloped country with $60! 

So I know what you're thinking...

Am I going to give up the bikini waxes?

Will my "feminist" side kick into high gear and say "F**k it All!"? Will I grow my pubes out Bohemian style, wear some Birkenstocks and proclaim how much men suck and are the death of us all and that all hairy vaginas rule? Will I bring all opressed women into the light by not getting my wax on? 

Hmm...not quite.

The thought of a hairy cooch actually nauseates me.

I will continue to get my brazillian while at the same time continue to love, honor and cherish my vagina and respect the women who decide to keep their "locks of love".

I am who I am...... bikini wax or not.

No comments: