Friday, January 23, 2009

Why do I look like the "before" pics in diet ads?



It's true.

Everytime I come across those damn diet ads in magazines or on T.V. I look at the "before" pics and think, "Geez, I could make some dough as a "before" model!"

Don't get me wrong, I don't walk around with a half shirt with my gut hanging over my jeans. I know how to hide the flab and I think I do a pretty good job at it. My tummy isn't as cute as it used to be with the battle wounds of birth (i.e. stretch marks) and the post baby fat (my kids are both 5 & 9 years old and I still consider my flab post baby fat).

It's hard not to envy those celebrities that pop out a few kids and 2 weeks later are walking along the beaches of St.Tropez in a teeny, tiny bikini. What the hell? It's just so unfair; granted, they have trainers and personal chefs that help them bounce back into shape~ but it doesn't help my esteem any! For me, 2 weeks post pregnancy, I'm still wearing my grandma maternity panties and ugly ass, breast-feeding bra with the leak pads inside.

But honestly, I take full responsibility for the shape I'm in.

Am I morbidly obese?

No.

Could I stand to lose a few pounds?

Yes.

My excuse for not exercising and eating right?

Time.

After having kids, priorities change. Your time becomes their time and the hours in your days become shorter-- there are never enough of them. And when things slow down and you do have any extra time (like around midnight)- all you want to do is sleep. Sometimes I feel like I'm on this treadmill of life without a slow down button.

But.. I keep going.

My kids are my life and well, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Maybe one day I'll have the time to work out, diet & purge a la Victoria Beckham. But until then...my gut and I will gladly apply for the position of 'before' model.

No comments: