Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Friendship




I've had the same best friends for 23 years.


I don't think many people can say that. It's easy finding a best friend when your a kid. You spend almost every waking hour with them and when you're not with them, you're on the phone with them. You go through heartbreaks together, graduation, college, marriage, kids...


The hard part of growing older is nuturing those friendships so that they don't become just another closed chapter in your life. We all get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of life that we forget about reaching out. With technology: texting, e-mails, myspace, facebook..there isn't any excuse why we shouldn't be in touch. But then again, it's so impersonal. It seems to take so much energy to pick up the phone and just call. Nothing is better than hearing the laughter of your best friend on the other line. But I always seem to find excuses- "I'll call when the kids are asleep"..."When I drive home from work, I'll call"....."I'll call this weekend"..."I'll call during the week"..."I'll call on Christmas.."


There really shouldn't be any excuse- living in a different state shouldn't make a difference. I want to be a better best friend to Ana and Lewie. They mean the world to me and deserve that much.


My two best friends are not only the Godmothers to my girls, but they've been there for every poignant moment in my life. No one else, besides my family, know more about me than Ana and Lewie. We've shared everything from broken hearts to broken families...asshole boyfriends to awesome husbands...weight loss to weight gain! We've shared it all!


Here's a quick stroll down memory lane:


Ana- I will always remember:

- the red leotard and red tights you wore in Mrs.Wade's dance class and how we both were total Valley Girls

- the time we hung out at a bonfire at the Bahia and got caught in the crossfire of gang warfare

- when we went to Tijuana for the first time and I got drunk on Long Island Ice Teas

- how much we laughed when your old school limo pulled up to take you to prom and your limo driver looked like Rick James

- how you'd graffiti all over the inside of your mom's car with "Ana was here"

- the times you'd tell us how you'd walk in on your mom and dad having sex

- laying out at Mission Beach in our bikinis and random dudes coming up and trying to spit game

- the "fudge smudge" you left on the blanket and the vomit/gag face it gave your ex

- the "Canada" shoes

- coming back from clubbing in Mexico and going straight home to get ready for church

- getting high with you and some random cute guys in college then going to our Reebok Step class and watching you turn green

- how your mom's car was always filled with food from the Sweetwater High cafeteria

- your dog with the over sized hemorrhoid

- the way Aldo used to tease me about my tight black and yellow "Samoan" dress

- my crush on Topo

- Tio Juevos

- your obsession with Tony and Ronnie

- that you were the one who woke up at 5am to go with me to get my ear surgery

- cruising Highland, hanging out at the Jack in the Box in the corner and then hiding me from Mike when he drove by

- posing in the MeCha pic in high school just so we'd get some extra coverage in the yearbook

- getting me to use lipliner and acrylic nails

- laughing at me when I tried to do my own acrylic nails

- our knee high boots

- how my cousin spilled water all over your new suede boots

- Nancy Nails

- Miriam

- getting free food from you when you worked in the concession area at Target

- talking shit to the hookers as we drove through Chula Vista

- that all you wanted was the best for me when you wanted me to leave the asshole ex

- going with you to get your Raiders tattoo and then ending up getting my Baby Sylvester (what the hell was I thinking?!)

- Mia going poop through her diaper as I got my other tattoo

- Seeing you in the stands at both high school & college graduation with my family and Lew and Adam Weikel

- taking you as my "date" to my 10 year high school reunion

- Being my Maid of Honor and doing all that you did for me for my wedding

- You accepting the honor of being Godmother to my babies

- that you have been there unconditionally since day 1 and have never left my side



Lew- I will always remember:

- the endow you did on your brother's bike while sporting the bleach streak in your hair

- how you pushed out the glass roof of my Honda civic and had to hold it as we drove around

- how we annoyed the hell out of Gaylord

- our DJ crew with Lulu- The LSL Crew and how we thought we were going to really DJ parties by practicing on your dad's old turntable

- how we died laughing when Lulu slipped and fell under the parked car as she went to go check the mail

- how I had to borrow your strapless bra for my sweethearts ball dress.

- when Allan had a crush on me and gave me your mother's pearl necklace

- singing freestyle songs and doing commercials with you, Ana and Lu in the jacuzzi

- how we took over the dance floor at my Uncle Zaldy's wedding

- attending your Rainbow Girls ceremonies

- watching you doing the letterette thing

- helping me with math

- how flawlessly you put on make-up

- walking with you on Sherbrooke and having to pass by Peanut's house and hear him say disgusting things

- always hanging out at Plaza Bonita on Friday nights

- your obessession with Ferdie

- seeing you in the stands at my graduation with Ana

- singing karaoke (esp. Journey songs) at your house

- walking to the Ralph's shopping strip to get flavored seltzer water

- you taking over my position at Leo Hamel when I left

- the sadness you & shared when both our parents split up

- when you were also a Maid of Honor with Ana in my wedding

-accepting the honor of being Godmother to my girls

- your delicious sinigang

- how we'd crack up discussing Lu's leopard lingerie

- your dad's brown station wagon

- your buttplug story

- that you've been there unconditionally since day 1 and have never left my side


You both mean so much to me. You've enriched my life more than you'll ever know. Thank you both for accepting me as I am, nuturing my soul, and walking with me every step of my life. I miss your laughter, I miss your hugs...but most of all, I miss you.


Here's to renewing our bond...our friendship in 2009 and planning our girl's weekend in Vegas.


I love you...truly.


No comments: