Monday, March 2, 2009

My Car...The Traveling Junk Drawer




Yup. There is no denying it. My car is a traveling junk drawer.


The thing about it is...it's not any ordinary, small junk drawer.


It's an SUV, TAHOE- SIZED junk drawer.


BUT, I have an excuse.


I travel 36 miles to downtown everyday to drop off my kids and go to work and then I drive 36 miles back home in the evening. We spend A LOT of time in the car- which means A LOT of crap accumulates. I knew it was time for me to clean things out when everytime I took a turn, I felt all the junk fall from one side of the truck to the to other.


I took inventory the other day when I attempted to just "pick up" a little bit and here's just a few things I came across:


-overdue library book from the Phoenix library

-Barbie with no top

-Broken yo-yo

-DVD's with missing cases

-DVD cases with missing DVD's

-Hair clips

-2 tubes of Hannah Montanta lip gloss

-2 kick balls

-Half eaten bag of melted M&M's

-Homework from 2 months ago

-1 empty Capri Sun

-2 quarters, 3 pennies and a nickel with hair

-Pack of Bubblicious

-Jonas Brothers book

-School uniform top

-Crayons

-4 markers

-Girl Scout cookies in the box

-Pillow

-1 flip flop

-Headband

-Stickers from the Dr's office

-4 goldfish crackers

-Littlest Pet Shop toys

-Nintendo DS games

-Bookmarker

-Movie tickets

-Farting slime (stick fingers in a bucket of slime & it makes fart noises)

-Sketch books

-Stuffed monkey

-Stuffed puppy with a hot pink tutu

-A McDonald's french fry

-Sonic cherry slush stain on the rug


Oh...I could go on and on, but you get the idea. It was enough to start my own little retail business. I constantly tell myself that I'm never going to let it get like that again ! But I fail miserably everytime.


I used to be envious of other people who had spotless cars that smelled like crisp, new leather. No smudges on the windows or sticky residue on the seat. They were the ones who didn't have to throw things under the seat or hide all the crap under a jacket when other people rode in the car with them.


I used to be envious.


But now I realize how lucky I really am.


Taking inventory of my car also forced me to take inventory of my life and how blessed I really am. I have transportation. I have beautiful, healthy children. I have a car of things that they love. It will only be a matter of time before those childhood items will be replaced with memories. It's hard to accept that one day I won't have my "junk drawer"to complain about. (It was hard enough getting rid of their infant car seats).


I sigh heavily as I hold the stuffed puppy in the hot pink tutu close to my heart. I place it back in my car...along with the pillow,the topless Barbie, stuffed monkey, Nintendo Games, crayons, markers...


and yes...


even the farting slime :)

2 comments:

Oscar Xtravaganza said...

hahahaha thats a whole lot of shit! BUT please explain to me when i had my vw beetle and 2 nieces (@ that time) i accumulated , fries , stickers and barbie clothes as well! NO kids , damn if i did i couldnt even imagine all the stuff that would be in my car! and the smell phewwwww hahaha

Unknown said...

Not all companies will offer the same price for a particular automobile. Some will offer to give someone a good rate but there are those merchants who always like to undercut.
• To get the best rate in the market, find a trusted service that is backed by impressive customer testimonials such as junk my car.
• Negotiation is the key that will unlock the desired rate. Always remember, nothing is cast on stone. It all depends on the way you talk to the company representative. Portray a friendly demeanor so that to gain an upper hand in negotiations.